Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry
For the stir fry:
- 1 ¼ lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cups mixed vegetables
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- sliced green onions and sesame seeds optional garnish
For the sauce:
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 ⅓ tbsp cornstarch
- For sauce: place soy sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, honey and sesame oil in a small pot over high heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and boil for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Set sauce aside.
- For the stir fry: Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables have started to brown and soften. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cook, until water has evaporated. When your vegetables are crisp tender remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan over high heat.
- Place the shrimp in the pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked through (shrimp should be pink and opaque).
- Add the vegetables back to the pan. Pour the sauce over the top and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium high heat until warmed through.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions if desired.