💞February is National Heart❤️ Health Month! 💞 I’m celebrating with these heart healthy double chocolate coconut 🥥 muffins 🍫😋 made with…you got it…BEETS!! Packed with nitrates, beets can aid in lowering 📉blood pressure ➡️decreased risk of cardiovascular ❣️disease✔️ Inflammation can promote heart disease🙅🏻♀️ but Betalains (antioxidant in beets) decreases inflammation🙌🏽 For easy prep, check out @lovebeets pre-cooked, peeled and delicious beets 💯 #loveyourheartbeet
"Lovebeets" Double Chocolate Coconut Muffins
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Lovebeets
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup flour – I use cassava
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate morsels
- In a large bowl, mix oats, buttermilk, and lovebeets.
- Set aside for an hour so that the beets dye the oats pink.
- Then pulse in a food processor until smooth consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a 12 muffin pan with oil or cupcake papers.
- Next add egg, oil, vanilla and brown sugar to the your beet mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and add in all dry ingredients, fold in chocolate morsels.
- Scoop batter in muffin tin and bake 12-15 minutes.
Melissa is a registered dietitian living and working in NYC for over a decade. While she is a dietitian by profession, Melissa believes that being healthy does not just mean from a dietary perspective. To her, health encompasses eating nutritious foods, exercising, and balancing mental well-being.